Surah Al-Balad Arabic
English Translation of Surah Al-Balad
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- I do call to witness this City;-
- And thou art a freeman of this City;-
- And (the mystic ties of) parent and child;-
- Verily We have created man into toil and struggle.
- Thinketh he, that none hath power over him?
- He may say (boastfully); Wealth have I squandered in abundance!
- Thinketh he that none beholdeth him?
- Have We not made for him a pair of eyes?-
- And a tongue, and a pair of lips?-
- And shown him the two highways?
- But he hath made no haste on the path that is steep.
- And what will explain to thee the path that is steep?-
- (It is:) freeing the bondman;
- Or the giving of food in a day of privation
- To the orphan with claims of relationship,
- Or to the indigent (down) in the dust.
- Then will he be of those who believe, and enjoin patience, (constancy, and self-restraint), and enjoin deeds of kindness and compassion.
- Such are the Companions of the Right Hand.
- But those who reject Our Signs, they are the (unhappy) Companions of the Left Hand.
- On them will be Fire vaulted over (all round).
Transliteration of Surah Al-Balad
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Laaa uqsimu bihaazal balad
- Wa anta hillum bihaazal balad
- Wa waalidinw wa maa walad
- Laqad khalaqnal insaana fee kabad
- Ayahsabu al-lai yaqdira ‘alaihi ahad
- Yaqoolu ahlaktu maalal lubadaa
- Ayahsabu al lam yarahooo ahad
- Alam naj’al lahoo ‘aynayn
- Wa lisaananw wa shafatayn
- Wa hadaynaahun najdayn
- Falaq tahamal-‘aqabah
- Wa maaa adraaka mal’aqabah
- Fakku raqabah
- Aw it’aamun fee yawmin zee masghabah
- Yateeman zaa maqrabah
- Aw miskeenan zaa matrabah
- Summa kaana minal lazeena aamanoo wa tawaasaw bissabri wa tawaasaw bilmarhamah
- Ulaaa’ika As-haabul maimanah
- Wallazeena kafaroo bi aayaatinaa hum as-haabul Mash’amah
- Alaihim naarum mu’sadah
Tafseer in English Surah Al-Balad
By Abul A’la Maududi
The Surah has been so named after the word al balad in the first verse.