76 to 100 Surah
89. Surah Al-Fajr | The Dawn
Surah Al-Fajr Arabic
English Translation of Surah Al-Fajr
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- By the break of Day
- By the Nights twice five;
- By the even and odd (contrasted);
- And by the Night when it passeth away;-
- Is there (not) in these an adjuration (or evidence) for those who understand?
- Seest thou not how thy Lord dealt with the �Ad (people),-
- Of the (city of) Iram, with lofty pillars,
- The like of which were not produced in (all) the land?
- And with the Thamud (people), who cut out (huge) rocks in the valley?-
- And with Pharaoh, lord of stakes?
- (All) these transgressed beyond bounds in the lands,
- And heaped therein mischief (on mischief).
- Therefore did thy Lord pour on them a scourge of diverse chastisements:
- For thy Lord is (as a Guardian) on a watch-tower.
- Now, as for man, when his Lord trieth him, giving him honour and gifts, then saith he, (puffed up), “My Lord hath honoured me.”
- But when He trieth him, restricting his subsistence for him, then saith he (in despair), “My Lord hath humiliated me!”
- Nay, nay! but ye honour not the orphans!
- Nor do ye encourage one another to feed the poor!-
- And ye devour inheritance – all with greed,
- And ye love wealth with inordinate love!
- Nay! When the earth is pounded to powder,
- And thy Lord cometh, and His angels, rank upon rank,
- And Hell, that Day, is brought (face to face),- on that Day will man remember, but how will that remembrance profit him?
- He will say: “Ah! Would that I had sent forth (good deeds) for (this) my (Future) Life!”
- For, that Day, His Chastisement will be such as none (else) can inflict,
- And His bonds will be such as none (other) can bind.
- (To the righteous soul will be said:) “O (thou) soul, in (complete) rest and satisfaction!
- “Come back thou to thy Lord,- well pleased (thyself), and well-pleasing unto Him!
- “Enter thou, then, among My devotees!
- “Yea, enter thou My Heaven!
Transliteration of Surah Al-Fajr
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Wa layaalin ‘ashr
- Wash shaf’i wal watr
- Wallaili izaa yasr
- Hal fee zaalika qasamul lizee hijr
- Alam tara kaifa fa’ala rabbuka bi’aad
- Iramaa zaatil ‘imaad
- Allatee lam yukhlaq misluhaa fil bilaad
- Wa samoodal lazeena jaabus sakhra bil waad
- Wa fir’awna zil awtaad
- Allazeena taghaw fil bilaad
- Fa aksaroo feehal fasaad
- Fasabba ‘alaihim Rabbuka sawta ‘azaab
- Inna Rabbaka labil mirsaad
- Fa ammal insaanu izaa mab talaahu Rabbuhoo fa akramahoo wa na’ ‘amahoo fa yaqoolu Rabbeee akraman
- Wa ammaaa izaa mabtalaahu faqadara ‘alaihi rizqahoo fa yaqoolu Rabbeee ahaanan
- Kalla bal laa tukrimooo nal yateem
- Wa laa tahaaaddoona ‘alaata’aamil miskeen
- Wa taakuloonat turaasa aklal lammaa
- Wa tuhibboonal maala hubban jammaa
- Kallaaa izaaa dukkatil ardu dakkan dakka
- Wa jaaa’a Rabbuka wal malaku saffan saffaa
- Wa jeee’a yawma’izim bi jahannnam; Yawma ‘iziny yatazakkarul insaanu wa annaa lahuz zikraa
- Yaqoolu yaa laitanee qaddamtu lihayaatee
- Fa Yawma izil laa yu’azzibu ‘azaabahooo ahad
- Wa laa yoosiqu wasaaqa hooo ahad
- Yaaa ayyatuhan nafsul mutma ‘innah
- Irji’eee ilaa Rabbiki raadiyatam mardiyyah
- Fadkhulee fee ‘ibaadee
- Wadkhulee jannatee
Surah Al-Fajr Tafseer in English
By Abul A’la Maududi
The Surah is so designated after the word wal-fajr with which it opens.