51 to 75 Surah
59. Surah Al-Hashr | The Banishment
Surah Al-Hashr Arabic
English Translation of Surah Al-Hashr
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Whatever is in the heavens and on earth, let it declare the Praises and Glory of Allah: for He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
- It is He Who got out the Unbelievers among the People of the Book from their homes at the first gathering (of the forces). Little did ye think that they would get out: And they thought that their fortresses would defend them from Allah! But the (Wrath of) Allah came to them from quarters from which they little expected (it), and cast terror into their hearts, so that they destroyed their dwellings by their own hands and the hands of the Believers, take warning, then, O ye with eyes (to see)!
- And had it not been that Allah had decreed banishment for them, He would certainly have punished them in this world: And in the Hereafter they shall (certainly) have the Punishment of the Fire.
- That is because they resisted Allah and His Messenger: and if any one resists Allah, verily Allah is severe in Punishment.
- Whether ye cut down (O ye Muslim!) The tender palm-trees, or ye left them standing on their roots, it was by leave of Allah, and in order that He might cover with shame the rebellious transgresses.
- What Allah has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from them – for this ye made no expedition with either cavalry or camelry: but Allah gives power to His messengers over any He pleases: and Allah has power over all things.
- What Allah has bestowed on His Messenger (and taken away) from the people of the townships,- belongs to Allah,- to His Messenger and to kindred and orphans, the needy and the wayfarer; In order that it may not (merely) make a circuit between the wealthy among you. So take what the Messenger assigns to you, and deny yourselves that which he withholds from you. And fear Allah; for Allah is strict in Punishment.
- (Some part is due) to the indigent Muhajirs, those who were expelled from their homes and their property, while seeking Grace from Allah and (His) Good Pleasure, and aiding Allah and His Messenger: such are indeed the sincere ones:-
- But those who before them, had homes (in Medina) and had adopted the Faith,- show their affection to such as came to them for refuge, and entertain no desire in their hearts for things given to the (latter), but give them preference over themselves, even though poverty was their (own lot). And those saved from the covetousness of their own souls,- they are the ones that achieve prosperity.
- And those who came after them say: “Our Lord! Forgive us, and our brethren who came before us into the Faith, and leave not, in our hearts, rancour (or sense of injury) against those who have believed. Our Lord! Thou art indeed Full of Kindness, Most Merciful.”
- Hast thou not observed the Hypocrites say to their misbelieving brethren among the People of the Book? – “If ye are expelled, we too will go out with you, and we will never hearken to any one in your affair; and if ye are attacked (in fight) we will help you”. But Allah is witness that they are indeed liars.
- If they are expelled, never will they go out with them; and if they are attacked (in fight), they will never help them; and if they do help them, they will turn their backs; so they will receive no help.
- Of a truth ye are stronger (than they) because of the terror in their hearts, (sent) by Allah. This is because they are men devoid of understanding.
- They will not fight you (even) together, except in fortified townships, or from behind walls. Strong is their fighting (spirit) amongst themselves: thou wouldst think they were united, but their hearts are divided: that is because they are a people devoid of wisdom.
- Like those who lately preceded them, they have tasted the evil result of their conduct; and (in the Hereafter there is) for them a grievous Penalty;-
- (Their allies deceived them), like the Evil One, when he says to man, “Deny Allah”: but when (man) denies Allah, (the Evil One) says, “I am free of thee: I do fear Allah, the Lord of the Worlds!”
- The end of both will be that they will go into the Fire, dwelling therein for ever. Such is the reward of the wrong-doers.
- O ye who believe! Fear Allah, and let every soul look to what (provision) He has sent forth for the morrow. Yea, fear Allah: for Allah is well-acquainted with (all) that ye do.
- And be ye not like those who forgot Allah; and He made them forget their own souls! Such are the rebellious transgressors!
- Not equal are the Companions of the Fire and the Companions of the Garden: it is the Companions of the Garden, that will achieve Felicity.
- Had We sent down this Qur�an on a mountain, verily, thou wouldst have seen it humble itself and cleave asunder for fear of Allah. Such are the similitudes which We propound to men, that they may reflect.
- Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- Who knows (all things) both secret and open; He, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- Allah is He, than Whom there is no other god;- the Sovereign, the Holy One, the Source of Peace (and Perfection), the Guardian of Faith, the Preserver of Safety, the Exalted in Might, the Irresistible, the Supreme: Glory to Allah! (High is He) above the partners they attribute to Him.
- He is Allah, the Creator, the Evolver, the Bestower of Forms (or Colours). To Him belong the Most Beautiful Names: whatever is in the heavens and on earth, doth declare His Praises and Glory: and He is the Exalted in Might, the Wise.
Transliteration of Surah Al-Hashr
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Sabbaha lillaahi maa fissamaawaati wa maa fil ardi wa Huwal ‘Azeezul Hakeem
- Huwal lazeee akharajal lazeena kafaroo min ahlil kitaabi min diyaarihim li awwalil Hashr; maa zanantum any yakhrujoo wa zannooo annahum maa ni’atuhum husoonuhum minal laahi faataahumul laahu min haisu lam yahtasiboo wa qazafa fee quloobihimur ru’ba yukhriboona bu yootahum bi aydeehim wa aydil mu’mineena fa’tabiroo yaaa ulil absaar
- Wa law laaa an katabal laahu ‘alaihimul jalaaa’a la’azzabahum fid dunyaa wa lahum fil Aakhirati ‘azaabun Naar
- Zaalika bi annahum shaaqqul laaha wa Rasoolahoo wa many yushaaaqqil laaha fa innal laaha shadeedul-‘iqaab
- Maa qata’tum mil leenatin aw taraktumoohaa qaaa’imatan’alaaa usoolihaa fabi iznil laahi wa liyukhziyal faasiqeen
- Wa maaa afaaa’al laahu ‘alaaa Rasoolihee minhum famaaa awjaftum ‘alaihi min khailiinw wa laa rikaabinw wa laakinnal laaha yusallitu Rusulahoo ‘alaa many yashaaa’; wallaahu ‘alaa kulli shai’in Qadeer
- Maaa afaaa’al laahu ‘alaa Rasoolihee min ahlil quraa falillaahi wa lir Rasooli wa lizil qurbaa wal yataamaa walmasaakeeni wabnis sabeeli kai laa yakoona doolatam bainal aghniyaaa’i minkum; wa maaa aataakumur Rasoolu fakhuzoohu wa maa nahaakum ‘anhu fantahoo; wattaqul laaha innal laaha shadeedul-‘iqaab
- Lilfuqaraaa’il Muhaaji reenal lazeena ukhrijoo min diyaarihim wa amwaalihim yabtaghoona fadlam minal laahi wa ridwaananw wa yansuroonal laaha wa Rasoolah; ulaaa’ika humus saadiqoon
- Wallazeena tabawwa’ud daara wal eemaana min qablihim yuhibboona man haajara ilaihim wa laa yajidoona fee sudoorihim haajatam mimmaa ootoo wa yu’siroona ‘alaa anfusihim wa law kaana bihim khasaasah; wa many yooqa shuhha nafsihee fa ulaaa’ika humul muflihoon
- Wallazeena jaaa’oo min ba’dihim yaqooloona Rabbanagh fir lanaa wa li ikhwaani nal lazeena sabqoonaa bil eemaani wa laa taj’al fee quloobinaa ghillalil lazeena aamanoo rabbannaaa innaka Ra’oofur Raheem
- Alam tara ilal lazeena naafaqoo yaqooloona li ikhwaanihimul lazeena kafaroo min ahlil kitaabi la’in ukhrijtum lanakhrujanna ma’akum wa laa nutee’u feekum ahadan abadanw-wa in qootiltum lanansuran nakum wallaahu yashhadu innahum lakaaziboon
- La’in ukhrijoo laa yakhrujoona ma’ahum wa la’in qootiloo laa yansuroonahum wa la’in nasaroohum la yuwallunnal adbaara summa laa yunsaroon
- La antum ashaddu rahbatan fee sudoorihim minal laah; zaalika bi annahum qawmul laa yafqahoon
- Laa yuqaatiloonakum jamee’an illaa fee quram muhas sanatin aw minw waraaa’i judur; baasuhum bainahum shadeed; tahsabuhum jamee’anw-wa quloobuhum shatta; zaalika biannahum qawmul laa ya’qiloon
- Kamasalil lazeena min qablihim qareeban zaaqoo wabaala amrihim wa lahum ‘azaabun aleem
- Kamasalish shaitaani izqaala lil insaanik fur falammaa kafara qaala innee bareee’um minka inneee akhaaful laaha rabbal ‘aalameen
- Fakaana ‘aaqibatahumaaa annahumaa fin naari khaalidaini feehaa; wa zaalika jazaaa’uz zaalimeen
- Yaaa ayyuhal lazeena aamanut taqul-laaha; waltanzur nafsum maa qaddamat lighadiw wattaqual laah; innal laaha khabeerum bimaa ta’maloon
- Wa laa takoonoo kallazeena nasul laaha fa ansaahum anfusahum; ulaaa’ika humul faasiqoon
- Laa yastaweee as-haabun naari wa ashaabul jannah; as haabul jannati humul faaa’izoon
- Law anzalnaa haazal quraana ‘alaa jabilil lara aytahoo khaashi’am muta saddi’am min khashiyatil laah; wa tilkal amsaalu nadribuhaa linnaasi la’allahum yatafakkaroon
- Huwal-laahul-lazee laaa Ilaaha illaa Huwa ‘Aalimul Ghaibi wash-shahaada; Huwar Rahmaanur-Raheem
- Huwal-laahul-lazee laaa Ilaaha illaa Huwal-Malikul Quddoosus-Salaamul Muminul Muhaiminul-‘aAzeezul Jabbaarul-Mutakabbir; Subhaanal laahi ‘Ammaa yushrikoon
- Huwal Laahul Khaaliqul Baari ‘ul Musawwir; lahul Asmaaa’ul Husnaa; yusabbihu lahoo maa fis samaawaati wal ardi wa Huwal ‘Azeezul Hakeem
Surah Al-Hashr Tafseer in English
By Abul A’la Maududi
The Surah derives its name from the mention of the word al-hashr in verse thereby implying that it is the Surah in which the word al-hashr has occurred.