15. Surah Al-Hijr | The Rocky Tract
Surah Al-Hijr is the 15th chapter of the Quran. It has 99 verses and was revealed in Makkah. The subject matter of Surah Al-Hijr is mainly about the stories of the Prophets and the people who disbelieved them.
The title of the Surah, Al-Hijr, comes from verse 17 in which the word Hijr is mentioned. This is the only Surah in the Quran in which the word Hijr occurs.
Surah Al-Hijr has several themes including:
- – The stories of the Prophets
- – The people who disbelieved the Prophets
- – The importance of having faith
- – The dangers of disbelief
The stories of the Prophets in Surah Al-Hijr include the stories of Adam, Nuh, Hud, Salih, Ibrahim, Lut, and Shuaib. These stories highlight the importance of having faith in Allah and following His guidance.
The stories of the people who disbelieved the Prophets are also mentioned in Surah Al-Hijr. These stories include the stories of the people of Thamud, the people of Aad, and the people of Pharaoh. These stories serve as a warning to those who disbelieve in Allah and His Prophets.
Throughout Surah Al-Hijr, the importance of having faith in Allah is stressed. Those who have faith are promised rewards in this life and the hereafter, while those who disbelieve are threatened with punishment.
Surah Al-Hijr Arabic
Surah Al-Hijr English Translation
In the name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful.
- A. L. R. These are the Ayats of Revelation,- of a Qur�an that makes things clear.
- Again and again will those who disbelieve, wish that they had bowed (to Allah�s will) in Islam.
- Leave them alone, to enjoy (the good things of this life) and to please themselves: let (false) hope amuse them: soon will knowledge (undeceive them).
- Never did We destroy a population that had not a term decreed and assigned beforehand.
- Neither can a people anticipate its term, nor delay it.
- They say: “O thou to whom the Message is being revealed! truly thou art mad (or possessed)!
- “Why bringest thou not angels to us if it be that thou hast the Truth?”
- We send not the angels down except for just cause: if they came (to the ungodly), behold! no respite would they have!
- We have, without doubt, sent down the Message; and We will assuredly guard it (from corruption).
- We did send messengers before thee amongst the religious sects of old:
- But never came a messenger to them but they mocked him.
- Even so do we let it creep into the hearts of the sinners –
- That they should not believe in the (Message); but the ways of the ancients have passed away.
- Even if We opened out to them a gate from heaven, and they were to continue (all day) ascending therein,
- They would only say: “Our eyes have been intoxicated: Nay, we have been bewitched by sorcery.”
- It is We Who have set out the zodiacal signs in the heavens, and made them fair-seeming to (all) beholders;
- And (moreover) We have guarded them from every cursed devil:
- But any that gains a hearing by stealth, is pursued by a flaming fire, bright (to see).
- And the earth We have spread out (like a carpet); set thereon mountains firm and immovable; and produced therein all kinds of things in due balance.
- And We have provided therein means of subsistence,- for you and for those for whose sustenance ye are not responsible.
- And there is not a thing but its (sources and) treasures (inexhaustible) are with Us; but We only send down thereof in due and ascertainable measures.
- And We send the fecundating winds, then cause the rain to descend from the sky, therewith providing you with water (in abundance), though ye are not the guardians of its stores.
- And verily, it is We Who give life, and Who give death: it is We Who remain inheritors (after all else passes away).
- To Us are known those of you who hasten forward, and those who lag behind.
- Assuredly it is thy Lord Who will gather them together: for He is perfect in Wisdom and Knowledge.
- We created man from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape;
- And the Jinn race, We had created before, from the fire of a scorching wind.
- Behold! thy Lord said to the angels: “I am about to create man, from sounding clay from mud moulded into shape;
- “When I have fashioned him (in due proportion) and breathed into him of My spirit, fall ye down in obeisance unto him.”
- So the angels prostrated themselves, all of them together:
- Not so Iblis: he refused to be among those who prostrated themselves.
- (Allah) said: “O Iblis! what is your reason for not being among those who prostrated themselves?”
- (Iblis) said: “I am not one to prostrate myself to man, whom Thou didst create from sounding clay, from mud moulded into shape.”
- (Allah) said: “Then get thee out from here; for thou art rejected, accursed.
- “And the curse shall be on thee till the day of Judgment.”
- (Iblis) said: “O my Lord! give me then respite till the Day the (dead) are raised.”
- (Allah) said: “Respite is granted thee
- “Till the Day of the Time appointed.”
- (Iblis) said: “O my Lord! because Thou hast put me in the wrong, I will make (wrong) fair-seeming to them on the earth, and I will put them all in the wrong,-
- “Except Thy servants among them, sincere and purified (by Thy Grace).”
- (Allah) said: “This (way of My sincere servants) is indeed a way that leads straight to Me.
- “For over My servants no authority shalt thou have, except such as put themselves in the wrong and follow thee.”
- And verily, Hell is the promised abode for them all!
- To it are seven gates: for each of those gates is a (special) class (of sinners) assigned.
- The righteous (will be) amid gardens and fountains (of clear-flowing water).
- (Their greeting will be): “Enter ye here in peace and security.”
- And We shall remove from their hearts any lurking sense of injury: (they will be) brothers (joyfully) facing each other on thrones (of dignity).
- There no sense of fatigue shall touch them, nor shall they (ever) be asked to leave.
- Tell My servants that I am indeed the Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful;
- And that My Penalty will be indeed the most grievous Penalty.
- Tell them about the guests of Abraham.
- When they entered his presence and said, “Peace!” He said, “We feel afraid of you!”
- They said: “Fear not! We give thee glad tidings of a son endowed with wisdom.”
- He said: “Do ye give me glad tidings that old age has seized me? Of what, then, is your good news?”
- They said: “We give thee glad tidings in truth: be not then in despair!”
- He said: “And who despairs of the mercy of his Lord, but such as go astray?”
- Abraham said: “What then is the business on which ye (have come), O ye messengers (of Allah)?”
- They said: “We have been sent to a people (deep) in sin,
- “Excepting the adherents of Lut: them we are certainly (charged) to save (from harm),- All –
- “Except his wife, who, We have ascertained, will be among those who will lag behind.”
- At length when the messengers arrived among the adherents of Lut,
- He said: “Ye appear to be uncommon folk.”
- They said: “Yea, we have come to thee to accomplish that of which they doubt.
- “We have brought to thee that which is inevitably due, and assuredly we tell the truth.
- “Then travel by night with thy household, when a portion of the night (yet remains), and do thou bring up the rear: let no one amongst you look back, but pass on whither ye are ordered.”
- And We made known this decree to him, that the last remnants of those (sinners) should be cut off by the morning.
- The inhabitants of the city came in (mad) joy (at news of the young men).
- Lut said: “These are my guests: disgrace me not:
- “But fear Allah, and shame me not.”
- They said: “Did we not forbid thee (to speak) for all and sundry?”
- He said: “There are my daughters (to marry), if ye must act (so).”
- Verily, by thy life (O Prophet), in their wild intoxication, they wander in distraction, to and fro.
- But the (mighty) Blast overtook them before morning,
- And We turned (the cities) upside down, and rained down on them brimstones hard as baked clay.
- Behold! in this are Signs for those who by tokens do understand.
- And the (cities were) right on the high-road.
- Behold! in this is a sign for those who believed.
- And the Companions of the Wood were also wrong-doers;
- So We exacted retribution from them. They were both on an open highway, plain to see.
- The Companions of the Rocky Tract also rejected the messengers:
- We sent them Our Signs, but they persisted in turning away from them.
- Out of the mountains did they hew (their) edifices, (feeling themselves) secure.
- But the (mighty) Blast seized them of a morning,
- And of no avail to them was all that they did (with such art and care)!
- We created not the heavens, the earth, and all between them, but for just ends. And the Hour is surely coming (when this will be manifest). So overlook (any human faults) with gracious forgiveness.
- For verily it is thy Lord who is the Master-Creator, knowing all things.
- And We have bestowed upon thee the Seven Oft-repeated (verses) and the Grand Qur�an.
- Strain not thine eyes. (Wistfully) at what We have bestowed on certain classes of them, nor grieve over them: but lower thy wing (in gentleness) to the believers.
- And say: “I am indeed he that warneth openly and without ambiguity,”-
- (Of just such wrath) as We sent down on those who divided (Scripture into arbitrary parts),-
- (So also on such) as have made Qur�an into shreds (as they please).
- Therefore, by the Lord, We will, of a surety, call them to account,
- For all their deeds.
- Therefore expound openly what thou art commanded, and turn away from those who join false gods with Allah.
- For sufficient are We unto thee against those who scoff,-
- Those who adopt, with Allah, another god: but soon will they come to know.
- We do indeed know how thy heart is distressed at what they say.
- But celebrate the praises of thy Lord, and be of those who prostrate themselves in adoration.
- And serve thy Lord until there come unto thee the Hour that is Certain.
Transliteration of Surah Al-Hijr
Bismillaahir Rahmaanir Raheem
- Alif-Laaam-Raa; tilka Aayaatul Kitaabi wa Qur-aa-nim Mubeen
- Rubamaa yawaddul lazeena kafaroo law kaanoo muslimeen
- Zarhum yaakuloo wa yatamatta’oo wa yulhihimul amalu fasawfa ya’lamoon
- Wa maaa ahlaknaa min qaryatin illaa wa lahaa kitaabum ma’loom
- Maa tasbiqu min ummatin ajalahaa wa maa yastaakhiroon
- Wa qaaloo yaaa aiyuhal lazee nuzzila ‘alaihiz Zikru innaka lamajnoon
- Law maa taateenaa bil malaaa’ikati in kunta minas saadiqeen
- Maa nunazzilul malaaa’i kata illaa bilhaqqi wa maa kaanooo izam munzareen
- Innaa Nahnu nazalnaz Zikra wa Innaa lahoo lahaa fizoon
- Wa laqad arsalnaa min qablika fee shiya’il awwaleen
- Wa maa yaateehim mir Rasoolin illaa kaanoo bihee yastahzi’oon
- kazaalika naslukuhoo fee quloobil mujrimeen
- Laa yu’minoona bihee wa qad khalat sunnatul awwaleen
- Wa law fatahnaa ‘alaihim baabam minas samaaa’i fazaloo feehi ya’rujoon
- Laqaaloo innamaa sukkirat absaarunaa bal nahnu qawmum mashooroon (section 1)
- Wa laqad ja’alnaa fissamaaa’i buroojanw wa zaiyannaahaa linnaazireen
- Wa hafiznaahaa min kulli Shaitaanir rajeem
- Illaa manis taraqas sam’a fa atba’ahoo shihaabum mubeen
- Wal arda madadnaahaa wa alqainaa feehaa rawaasiya wa ambatnaa feehaa min kulli shai’im mawzoon
- Wa ja’alnaa lakum feehaa ma’aayisha wa mal lastum lahoo biraaziqeen
- Wa im min shai’in illaa ‘indanaa khazaaa ‘inuhoo wa maa nunazziluhooo illaa biqadarim ma’loom
- Wa arsalnar riyaaha la waaqiha fa anzalnaa minas samaaa’i maaa’an fa asqai naakumoohu wa maaa antum lahoo bikhaazineen
- Wa innnaa la nahnu nuhyee wa numeetu wa nahnul waarisoon
- Wa la qad ‘alimnal mustaqdimeena minkum wa laqad ‘alimnal mustaakhireen
- Wa inna Rabbaka Huwa yahshuruhum; innahoo Hakeemun ‘Aleem (section 2)
- Wa laqad khalaqnal insaana min salsaalim min hama im masnoon
- Waljaaanna khalaqnaahu min qablu min naaris samoom
- Wa iz qaala Rabbuka lilmalaaa’ ikati innee khaaliqum basharam min salsaalim min hama im masnoon
- Fa izaa sawwaituhoo wa nafakhtu feehi mir roohee faqa’oo lahoo saajideen
- Fasajadal malaaa’ikatu kulluhum ajma’oon
- Illaaa ibleesa abaaa ai yakoona ma’as saajideen
- Qaala yaaa Ibleesu maa laka allaa takoona ma’as saajideen
- Qaala lam akul li asjuda libasharin khalaqtahoo min salsaalim min hama im masnoon
- Qaala fakhruj minhaa fa innaka rajeem
- Wa inna ‘alaikal la’nata ilaa Yawmid Deen
- Qaala Rabbi fa anzirneee ilaa Yawmi yub’asoon
- Qaala fa innaka minal munzareen
- Ilaa Yawmil waqtil ma’loom
- Qaala Rabbi bimaaa aghwaitanee la uzayyin anna lahum fil ardi wa la ughwiyan nahum ajma’een
- Illaa ‘ibaadaka minhumul mukhlaseen
- Qaala haaza Siraatun ‘alaiya Mustaqeem
- Inna ‘ibaadee laisa laka ‘alaihim sultaanun illaa manittaba’aka minal ghaaween
- Wa inna jahannama lamaw’iduhum ajma’een
- Lahaa sab’atu abwaab; likulli baabim minhum juz’um maqsoom (section 3)
- Innal muttaqeena fee Jannaatinw wa ‘uyoon
- Udkhuloohaa bisalaamin aamineen
- Wa naza’naa ma fee sudoorihim min ghillin ikhwaanan ‘alaa sururim mutaqaabileen
- Laa yamas suhum feehaa nasabunw wa maa hum minhaa bimukhrajeen
- Nabbi’ ‘ibaadeee annneee anal Ghafoorur Raheem
- Wa anna ‘azaabee huwal ‘azaabul aleem
- Wa nabbi’hum ‘an daifi Ibraaheem
- Iz dakhaloo ‘alaihi faqaaloo salaaman qaala innaa minkum wajiloon
- Qaaloo la tawjal innaa nubashshiruka bighulaamin ‘aleem
- Qaala abashshartumoonee ‘alaaa am massaniyal kibaru fabima tubashshiroon
- Qaaloo bashsharnaaka bilhaqqi falaa takum minal qaaniteen
- Qaala wa mai yaqnatu mir rahmati Rabbiheee illad daaaloon
- Qaala famaa khatbukum aiyuhal mursaloon
- Qaaloo innaaa ursilnaaa ilaa qawmim mujrimeen
- Illaaa Aala Loot; innaa lamunajjoohum ajma’een
- Illam ra atahoo qaddarnaaa innahaa laminal ghaabireen (section 4)
- Falamma jaaa’a Aala Lootinil mursaloon
- Qaala innakum qawmum munkaroon
- Qaaloo bal ji’naaka bimaa kaanoo feehi yamtaroon
- Wa atainaaka bilhaqqi wa innaa lasaadiqoon
- Fa asri bi ahlika biqit’im minal laili wattabi’ adbaarahum wa laa yaltafit minkum ahadunw wamdoo haisu tu’maroon
- Wa qadainaaa ilaihi zaalikal amra anna daabira haaa’ulaaa’i maqtoo’um musbiheen
- Wa jaaa’a ahlul madeenati yastabshiroon
- Qaala inna haaa’ulaaa’i daifee falaa tafdahoon
- Wattaqul laaha wa laa tukhzoon
- Qaalooo awalam nanhaka ‘anil ‘aalameen
- Qaala haaa’ulaaa’i banaateee in kuntum faa’ileen
- La’amruka innahum lafee sakratihim ya’mahoon
- Fa akhazat humus saihatu mushriqeen
- Faja’alnaa ‘aaliyahaa saafilahaa wa amtarnaa ‘alaihim hijaaratam min sijjeel
- Inna fee zaalika la Aayaatil lilmutawassimeen
- Wa innahaa labi sabeelim muqeem
- Inna fee zaalika la Aayatal lilmu’mineen
- Wa in kaana Ashaabul Aikati lazaalimeen
- Fantaqamnaa minhum wa innahumaa labi imaamim mubeen (section 5)
- Wa laqad kazzaba ashaabul Hijril mursaleen
- Wa aatainaahum Aayaatinaa fakaanoo ‘anhaa mu’rideen
- Wa kaanoo yanhitoona minal jibaali buyootan aamineen
- Fa akhazat humus saihatu musbiheen
- Famaaa aghnaa ‘anhum maa kaanoo yaksiboon
- Wa maa khalaqnas samaawaati wal arda wa maa bainahumaaa illaa bilhaqq; wa innas Saa’ata la aatiyatun fasfahis safhal jameel
- Inna Rabbaka Huwal khallaaqul ‘aleem
- Wa laqad aatainaaka sab’am minal masaanee wal Qur-aanal ‘Azeem
- Laa tamuddanna ‘ainaika ilaa maa matta ‘naa biheee azwaajam minhum wa laa tahzan ‘alaihim wakhfid janaahaka lilmu ‘mineen
- Wa qul inneee anan nazeerul mubeen
- Kamaaa anzalnaa ‘alal muqtasimeen
- Allazeena ja’alul Quraana’ideen
- Fawa Rabbika lanas’a lannahum ajma’een
- ‘Ammaa kaanoo ya’maloon
- Fasda’ bimaa tu’maru wa a’rid anil mushrikeen
- Innaa kafainaakal mustahzi’een
- Allazeena yaj’aloona ma’al laahi ilaahan aakhar; fasawfa ya’lamoon
- Wa laqad na’lamu annaka yadeequ sadruka bimaa yaqooloon
- Fasabbih bihamdi Rabbika wa kum minas saajideen
- Wa’bud Rabbaka hattaa yaatiyakal yaqeen (section 6)
Tafseer in English
This Surah takes its name from v. 80.
Period of Revelation
It is clear from its topics and style that the period of its revelation is about the same as that of Surah Ibrahim, for two things are quite prominent in its background. First, it appears from the repeated warnings in this Surah that in spite of the fact that the Holy Prophet had been propagating the Message for many years, his people in general had not shown any inclination towards its acceptance nay, they had become more and more obdurate and stubborn in their antagonism, enmity and ridicule with the passage of time. Secondly, by that time the Holy Prophet had begun to feel a little tired of making strenuous efforts to eradicate disbelief and opposition of his people. That is why Allah has consoled and comforted him over and over again by way of encouragement.
Topics and the Central Theme
Though the main topics of the surah are:
warning to those who rejected his Message, opposed it tooth and nail, and ridiculed him, and
comfort and encouragement to the Holy Prophet,
It does not mean that this Surah does not contain admonition and instructions. As a matter of fact, the Quran never confines itself to mere warning; rebuke and censure, but resorts to precept in every suitable place. Accordingly, this Surah contains brief arguments for Tauhid on the one hand, and admonition in the story of Adam and Satan on the other.
How many verses in Surah Al-Hijr
How many Ruku in Surah Al-Hijr
Which location Surah Al-Hijr appeared